Baccarat 101: How to play baccarat for beginners
In baccarat, players choose from two different hands and place their bets accordingly based on which they think will come closest to a total value of nine. It’s one of the most popular table games in the casino for its simple gameplay, attractive prizes and high betting odds.
Learn about the smartest strategies and how you can use them in your games to make the most out of your gaming sessions. Follow our beginner-friendly guide here at Stake Casino, and you’ll be playing like a pro in no time!
What is online casino baccarat?
Baccarat is a popular gambling card game in online casinos where you bet on which hand will have a total value closest to nine. You won’t get cards and decide what to do with them, you just have to place your bets to play.
One complete round in baccarat is known as a coup. Each baccarat coup can result in one of three outcomes: the ‘player’ having the better hand, the ‘banker’ having the better hand, or a ‘tie’ between the two.
Baccarat has three popular variants that players can play: punto banco, baccarat chemin de fer and baccarat banque. All three will be discussed later in detail.
How to play baccarat: Basic baccarat rules
The baccarat game rules are quite simple, making it perfect for beginners who want to learn. Here’s everything you need to know to get started with playing live baccarat.
Getting started with online casino baccarat
The game begins with players placing bets on which hands they think will come closest to a total value of nine between the Player and the Banker. They can also opt to wager on a Draw between the two.
The baccarat dealer will then proceed by drawing two sets of two to three cards: one will be the Banker’s hand and the other the Player’s hand. Note that the Player’s hand here does not pertain to participants of the game. Rather it’s just a label to distinguish between the two hands. You receive a payout when your bet comes closer to nine.
Card value in baccarat
It’s easy to remember the values of each card in baccarat. Aces are valued at 1, cards 2–9 are equal to their card faces, and 10, Jack, Queen, and King are valued at 0.
Here’s a breakdown of each value:
|2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9||The number that's shown on the face|
|10, Jack, Queen, King||0|
Note that if the cards drawn go over a total value of nine, you would typically drop the first digit and only count the one's digit. For example, if the dealer drew two 9s for a total of 18, that hand would equate to an 8.
How to play baccarat
- Visit our baccarat games page and choose any game from our wide selection. Each game provides a unique experience, but the interface stays largely the same for your convenience.
- Place a bet on the Player, Banker, or Draw options using the interface. You can adjust your bet according to how much you want to place on the bottom of the screen.
- Wait for the dealer to draw two cards per side. Whichever side is closer to nine wins.
- Receive your payout if you win your bet.
The payout per bet varies. The Player hand is an even money bet, while the Banker pays out at 0.95:1 due to a 5% commission the house takes when the Banker wins. On the other hand, a Tie pays out at 8:1.
Below is a table to help you remember this:
|Banker||0.95:1 (The casino takes a 5% commission)|
Baccarat third card rule
In certain scenarios, a third card may be dealt if neither hand has reached a total of 8 or 9; this will depend on if the Player hand totals 5 or below.
Below is a guide for you to follow to understand if a third card must be dealt for the bank:
|Bank’s Total||Player’s Third Card||Should the Bank take a third card?|
|8, 9||Any value||No|
Types of baccarat games in online casinos
If you’re playing online baccarat, check out its other variations: Punto Banco, Baccarat chemin de fer and Baccarat Banque. All three follow the same basic structure and gameplay but with different betting systems.
Here is how you play each version of baccarat:
Punto Banco means ‘Player Bank’ in Spanish and is the most popular variation of baccarat. It’s what most players would refer to when they think about baccarat. This version involves the player cards going up against the bank cards.
Players have no active participation in the game; all they have to do is place their bets and let the croupier do the rest, including the drawing of cards and calculations.
In this version of baccarat, the possibility of a tie is much higher, giving a payout that typically sits at an odds of 8/1.
Baccarat Chemin de Fer
Chemin de Fer translates to ‘iron path’ or ‘railway’ in French. This version of baccarat is largely similar to Punto Banco except players have more of a role during the game. Instead of a designated croupier, the role of the dealer is passed around among players.
Anyone can take the role of the dealer, but it’s ideal for that person to be willing to bet a large amount of money since this wager should typically cover the whole pot. After the dealer puts down their bet, another player can call ‘blanco’ which matches the dealer's bet. If no one does this, the remaining players must bet until their combined total matches the dealer’s.
The game begins when the dealer draws the cards. Despite having several players on the table, only the one who bet the most money will receive the cards. This creates a 1-vs-1 scenario where one player represents everyone who placed their bets against the dealer. The rest of the game is played as usual.
Baccarat Banque has similar rules to Chemin de Fer but with some important distinctions. In Chemin de Fer, the role of the dealer is passed from player to player. Meanwhile, Baccarat Banque rules state that this role goes to the person with the highest bet. This remains to be their role until the full deck of cards has been fully played or their bankroll runs out.
Instead of having to play with two hands, Baccarat Banque is played with three: two player hands and one dealer hand. Players can bet on any of the three hands. In their turn, they can choose to ‘go bank’ which means matching the dealer’s bet.
Baccarat tips: Strategies on how to successfully win
Baccarat is a game that relies on chance. There's no set strategy for winning. The best you can do is adopt smart betting techniques so you can preserve your bankroll and minimise your losses. Keep in mind these tips and tricks to maximise your rewards:
Choose games with a low house edge
The house edge refers to the inherent advantage the casino or the house has over its players. You can play around with this by choosing games with a lower house edge, as this can significantly affect your betting strategies and improve your chances of winning.
Luckily, baccarat games typically have a relatively lower house edge in comparison to other casino games. Baccarat games like ‘No Commission Baccarat’ also have a lower house edge compared to other variations of the game.
Try other variations of baccarat
Keep things interesting by trying out the other version of this game. Not only does this help make your games feel less repetitive, but it can also sharpen your skill, making you a better baccarat player overall.
Use betting strategies
There is a plethora of betting strategies you can try out in your games and each of them can help you maximise your wins and keep your losses at a minimum. Here are a few examples of strategies that you can try:
Fibonacci betting system
The Fibonacci system is a negative progression betting strategy wherein you add to your bet after every loss. The goal of this system is to chase your losses so that you can come up with a bigger pot when you end up with a win.
Here’s a basic application of this system:
- Place your bet. (e.g., US$1)
- If you lose, increase it by your initial bet. (e.g., US$2)
- If you win, you can reset the system.
Paroli betting system
The Paroli betting system is a positive progression betting strategy wherein you double your stake after each win. The idea is that this strategy takes advantage of win streaks for better chances at winning big.
Here’s a quick rundown of what you should do:
- Place your base wager. (e.g., US$1)
- Double that bet each time you win. (e.g., US$2)
- Stop doubling your bet when you’ve had three consecutive wins. This is because it’s much more common for you to experience three wins in a row than it is for you to get four or more. At this point, go back to your base bet.
- If you lose before your three wins, go back to your base wager and try again. Following this system means you should refrain from increasing your bet after a loss.
Labouchere betting system
The Labouchere betting system is another negative progression strategy where you increase your bets after losses. This system is best for when you want to recover from your losses despite having a smaller number of wins.
Here’s how you can apply it to your games:
- To start, write down a sequence of simple numbers. For example, 1, 2, 3. The profit of each cycle when using this system should be equal to the sum of the number in your sequence (e.g., US$6).
- Your bet should be equal to the num of the first and last number in your sequence. Using our example, your bet should then be US$4.
- If you win that round, you can ‘cross off’ the first and last number in your sequence.
- If you lost, add the amount you bet for that previous round to the end of your sequence. In the previous example, your sequence should look like this: 1, 2, 3, 4.
- When you’ve successfully crossed off all the numbers on your sequence and are left with one number, simply bet that amount.
D’Alembert betting system
The D’Alembert system is another negative progression strategy where you increase your bet after you lose, and decrease it after you win.
Here is how to use it in baccarat games:
- Put down your bet. (e.g., US$1)
- Every time you lose, increase it by your initial bet.
- Every time you win, you decrease your current bet by your initial bet.
Where to play baccarat: How to bet on baccarat at Stake Casino
Experience the best when you play online baccarat with Stake Casino and use all of the strategies you’ve learned when you register and make your first deposit with us. Follow the steps below to find out how you can begin betting here:
Making your account
- Visit Stake Casino and click the ‘Register’ button in the top right corner.
- Fill in the necessary information on the pop-up window.
- Read the terms and conditions. When you’re done, tick the box to verify you understand and agree to these terms.
- Click on the ‘Play now’ button to finish creating your account.
You’re now ready to make your first deposit into your account!
Making a deposit
- Access your wallet by clicking on your account profile.
- Choose which crypto coin you want to deposit from the dropdown list.
- Scan the QR code with your phone or copy the unique address onto your crypto wallet.
- Enter the amount you want to deposit.
- When you’ve confirmed your transaction, the funds should automatically transfer to your Stake account.
You can now enjoy your wide selection of online baccarat games!
Play baccarat and win huge prizes at Stake Casino
Now that you’ve learned everything you need to know about baccarat, it’s time to put your knowledge to the test. Stake Casino offers the best baccarat tables online, like Peek Baccarat by Evolution, Baccarat by Bombay Live, and Stake Originals’ very own Baccarat. Register and make a deposit today!
Frequently asked questions
What are the card values in baccarat?
The card values in Baccarat are simple. The Ace is equal to 1, cards 2 through 9 are equal to their face value, and 10, Jack, Queen, and King are equal to zero.
Are there any strategies for playing baccarat?
Like most table games, there is not one set of baccarat strategy. Instead, players should pay attention to their bankroll and betting practices. Allot a budget, and use betting strategies like the Fibonacci or Paroli systems to maximise your games.